Bindiya and I have been cracking our heads over summer camps- balancing the expense, the kids’ interests and the value proposition and a host of other factors such as location, timings, pick-ups etc etc. I kid you not- I must have spent hours researching, assessing, discussing and then second guessing! Of course, all this would be moot if the camps were not so $$$:)
There is really an opportunity for a camp counselor; as in someone who can advise parents on the best camps that can be sorted basis the pricing, types, dates etc- I know, I would love a resource like that!
Many moms manage camp planning via spreadsheets, and I am going in the same direction, to avoid having to re-invent the wheel next summer.
There are tons of online sites with lists of summer camps et al. Here, then is a list of 5 cool camp activities that I liked because they keep the kids happy, and also teach them strong, enhanced skills.
1. Single, sports camps- probably better to do the more focused camps, ie swim, tennis to sharpen the kids’ skill levels
2. Horse-riding camps: pricey yes, but the kids can enjoy this life-long!
3. Robotics camps: great way to get the kids started on building and programming projects
4. Tech camps: there are many cool and very innovative computer/tech camps that most older kids will enjoy very much.
5. Debate camps: a more recent addition to the summer camps, and a very valuable skill for kids to possess.
(If you want to know more about specific camps in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA for each activity, please email us.)
Here’s wishing all of you a very fun and summer!